Podcast: Download (Duration: 55:45 — 25.7MB)
Captain’s log: Stardate 68927.1
We have made contact with a strange subset of the species homo sapiens. They seem to be consumed with all things technological. At first we feared that they were a newly assimilated unit of the Borg collective. Thankfully we’ve determined that is not the case — they are simply Citizens of Tech!
Today on the show: unicorns watching your every move, reducing your electricity consumption, bikes, E3 bombshells, tiny robotic lassos and more.
So buckle into your Aluminum Falcon and prepare to jump to hyper-speed as we dive into this week’s edition of Citizens of Tech!
Unicorns – New Livestream App Lets Strangers Watch You Use Your Phone
- Called Unicorns
- Intended audience is developers, game demos / walkthroughs / “let’s play” / anyone that needs to give a presentation of an app on a phone.
- Accidental “overshare” of information is a big concern. PINs, email contents / contacts / etc.
- “Think about what Twitch did for games that nobody seemingly thought others would watch,” says Owen Williams, who writes for The Next Web.
- Ethan’s notes.
- Periscope lets you livecast from your phone. Seems to have lots of buzz with the young people.
- Perch.co lets you use your tablet as a remote window into coworkers’ spaces. Helpful for distributed companies.
- From a high over 40Kwh per day to under 20Kwh per day
- LED Bulbs
- Conservative light usage (natural light FTW)
- Lowered timer for landscape lighting
- Monitors from 3 to 1
- Shut down equipment in lab rack
- Cut back on laundry loads
- Cut back on dishwasher loads, set to “smart wash” setting with no heated drying
- Removed small refrigerator that was seeing little use
- Hard to cut back
- Electric stove
- Next steps
- More equipment shut downs in rack
- Reviewing everything that’s plugged in (the tiny electrical thieves)
- Cutting back on dryer use
Adjusting a bicycle front derailleur: 4 tweaks
- Barrel adjustor
- Cable tension
- Upper limit screw
- Lower limit screw
Big Announcements from the E3 Conference:
- XBox One backward compatibility with Xbox 360 (Via emulation) !!
- Microsoft Hololens; Halo and Minecraft
- Hololens is *not* Oculus or HTC Vive – Not “VR”
- Hololens *is* “AR” – augmented reality
- New Doom
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Gears of War 4
- Mass Effect: Andromeda – 2016
- Mirror’s Edge – 2016 (2008 Original – 8 years later)
- Dark Souls 3
- Fallout 4 – Boston!!
- Just Cause 3
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake: 18 Years later (Wow, that makes me feel old!)
- The Last Guardian: Part 3 of the Trilogy – Ico (2001), Shadow of the Colossus (2006)
- Goodbye, ello.
The Computer History Museum
1401 N Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tiny Robotic Tentacles Can Lasso An Ant
- They can lasso an ant or scoop up a tiny fish egg.
- 2x thickness of a human hair
- Looks like a fishing line